People, the super talented urban fantasy author Jennifer Estep is popping in for a visit to talk about food. Yes, please. Our little Q&A is in honor of her latest release: Snared, book 16 in her Elemental Assassin series. Plus, there’s a giveaway. Talking about food and a book giveaway! Get excited.
1. Food is a big part of your Elemental Assassin series, given Gin’s day job as a BBQ restaurant owner. What is your favorite BBQ joint?
JE: I don’t know that I have a favorite barbecue joint. I like trying different kinds of barbecue, different sauces, etc.
But probably my favorite barbecue food is baked beans. Nothing is better than baked beans in a great barbecue sauce.
2. You can’t indulge in BBQ without something decadent to finish it off. Your cast of characters certainly enjoys the treats Gin makes, particularly Finn. What is your favorite sweet item?
JE: Exactly! LOL. I have a big sweet tooth so I love all kinds of desserts. One of my favorite treats is strawberry cheesecake ice cream.
3. Speaking of sweet items you recently made the bold statement that you prefer cobbler/crumble to pie *gasp*. What is your prefered topping for said cobbler/crumble?
JE: I do like cobbler/crumble much better than pie. When I eat dessert, I want to eat the actual dessert – or filling in this case – and not just the crust. And of course, you can’t eat cobbler or crumble without some vanilla ice cream melting on top.
4. You do currently include a recipe with your newsletter (which people can subscribe to at jenniferestep.com), are there any plans to put out a full length cookbook?
JE: No, I don’t have any plans to do a cookbook. I don’t have recipes for everything that Gin makes in the books. Many of the dishes (like Fletcher’s secret barbecue sauce) exist only in my imagination or are just things that I think would sound good to eat. I just like writing about food.
Plus, I imagine that writing a cookbook would be a lot of work, and that’s something that I just don’t have the time for, given my regular book writing deadlines.
There are a few recipes posted on my website. Go to the Elemental Assassin series page, scroll down, and click on Gin’s Recipe Box.
I also share a recipe in my monthly e-newsletter. You can sign up for that on the Contact page of my website. Fill out the newsletter box in the right sidebar.
5. Gin does not hold back on any of the tastier ingredients available (salt, butter, sugar). We know she keeps fit through her assassin workout routine but is Gin worried about her bad cholesterol? Inquiring minds want to know.
JE: Well, Gin does get quite a workout taking on all those bad guys. LOL. She does use those ingredients in her cooking, but I also think that she does so in moderation.
Happy reading, everyone!
If you don’t know Gin “the Spider” Blanco, you don’t know dangerous female heroines.
Irony 101—The Spider herself snared in someone else’s web…
Another week, another few clues trickling in about the Circle, the mysterious group that supposedly runs the city’s underworld. Gathering intel on my hidden enemies is a painstaking process, but a more immediate mystery has popped up on my radar: a missing girl.
My search for the girl begins on the mean streets of Ashland, but with all the killers and crooks in this city, I’m not holding out much hope that she’s still alive.
A series of clues leads me down an increasingly dark, dangerous path, and I realize that the missing girl is really just the first thread in this web of evil. As an assassin, I’m used to facing down the worst of the worst, but nothing prepares me for this new, terrifying enemy—one who strikes from the shadows and is determined to make me the next victim.
Publisher: Pocket Books
Release date: April 25, 2017
About Jennifer Estep:
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea.
Jennifer writes the Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series. Snared, book #16, will be released on April 25.
Jennifer also writes the Mythos Academy young adult urban fantasy series. She is also the author of the Black Blade young adult urban fantasy series and the Bigtime paranormal romance series.
There’s a tour-wide giveaway for copies of SNARED and a $20 Amazon gift card! Open to US residents only.